Renan Morales (DJ Rey Boricua)
New York City
1. What or whom inspired you to become a salsa DJ?
I have loved and listened to the music all my life. In order to share that joy I started DJing back in college while
attending St. John’s University in the 80’s. I started my own radio show three years ago due to the fact that NYC
Radio no longer plays real SALSA.
2. Why did you pick your DJ name? Is there a special meaning behind it?
No specific reason other than the use of my nickname Rey (Many people mispronounce Renan) and that I am a
very proud Boricua.
3. At what point did you realize you had enough music to pursue DJing seriously?
I have been an avid collector of Salsa music since the 70’s and always have had and collected Salsa music and
memorabilia. I also play percussion since the age of 15.
4. Name three of your favorite bands/artists of all time?
Tito Rodríguez Orquestra, El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico and the Fania All Stars.
5. What qualities must a song possess in order to make it to your playlist?
I only play Salsa Dura para el bailador. I do not play Salsa Monga. LOL
6. What other types of music do you like aside from this genre?
All music: pop, jazz, hip hop, etc….
7. Who are some of your favorite salsa DJs past or present?
I really like DJ Andy "El Mas Bailable," all the Salsa Warrior DJs and from the past DJ Henry Knowles.
8. Every DJ has a bucket list of goals as a DJ – What is one of your “DJ bucket list” dreams or goals?
One was already completed when I started my own show and in three years have had over 6,500 hits. Ultimate
goal is to have an FM station.
9. If someone were to talk about you as a DJ, what would they say?
He plays for the dancer and keeps the floor packed with great SALSA.
10. What does being a Salsa Warrior mean for you?
A Salsa Warrior is one who plays the best SALSA on the planet for the sake of giving fans great music to dance
and enjoy listening to. A Salsa Warrior does not have a hidden agenda or a dislike of other DJs but is a part of a
true TEAM CONCEPT. A SALSA WARRIOR carries the flag of SALSA on high at all times so that the music and its
culture remain in the forefront siempre (always and forever).
Additional comments you’d like to share with your listeners:
It will be a dream come true to be part of being one of many talented and great DJ’s playing this music for the
listener’s pleasure. SALSA WARRIORS fighting for what we BELIEVE In SALSA! BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD!!!
Radio Show Title
Salsa Es Lo Que Hay
Live Day and Time
Weds 7pm, Thurs 8pm
|Listen To US Worldwide On